Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Must Tell of the Goodness

I have been trying to be more vocal in my convictions for Christ. It used to be that once I leave after Sunday morning worship, I felt I did my part for the week. I didn't leave there and share what I have learned with anybody else. It was not because I was ashamed of being a christian, but I guess you could say I was trying to be "politically correct". I didn't want to offend any non believers or force my beliefs on anybody else. But my Pastor has challenged our congregation to be more vocal and active in our walk for Christ.

I have been telling my co workers, friends, family and sometimes strangers about the goodness of Jesus! I don't worry anymore about what people may think of me. Friends of mine often ask me, "how did you become so churchy, I remember when you used to do some not so churchy things." And its true, I haven't always been saved, I used to do a lot of things that I wouldn't do today. But I have come to the realization that I can't do the same things I used to do. I understand that since I am a believer, everything that I do will be scrutinized by the unbelievers. I used to think that all I have to do is just show up on Sundays, play the organ, say a little prayer and go on about my business. But there is a lot more that I can do!

As I look I see crime rates around the world go up and the ages of the perpetrators getting younger, I often wonder if these young boys and girls are receiving guidance from not only their parents but there local churches as well. I remember there were times where I would act up in school and I would be just as afraid of Mother Taylor, Deacon Gathright or other members of my church, then I was of my own parents! Now my parents didn't play around, but I would expect that from my own parents. But when it comes from people outside your house, in particular your church home, it is reinforced! I understand that we live in a different time then it was 15-20 years ago, but I just believe if all of us believers would do our part outside of the church, the world would be a better place.

Pray my strength in the Lord as I try to do my part! God Bless

5 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Great post Avery!! You have encouraged and inspired me too keep on doing what I've been doing. I am beginning to see the fruit of my labor! Bless God for your life and ministry!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Greatness is within you! I enjoy your blogs thus far and encourage you to keep on blogging and writing. I will have to pick up a copy of your CD. Continue to be encouraged in all that you set out to do to the Glory of our Father. Be Blessed!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Avery, it is refreshing for me having been a singer for all of my life and having been around musicians all of my life, to hear a musician desire to do more for the Lord than just collect a check. Pastor Witherspoon's ministry will be enhanced because he has people like you in his corner.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Avery,
Thank you for keeping it real. Because of your testimony, saints will be strengthen and sinners will seek salvation. Bless your ministry!!!!

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

God Bless you Brother,

I read your post, and I'm new too your site. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!
Awesome,Awesome, Posts!

Welcome to the convicting Love of the Holy Spirit. Brother you just grew in your maturity as a christian. A Pastor's desire is that members of his congregation would be moved by the spirit to this conviction. Your heart is growing in the Love of Christ. And in the desire to be like him.
Being a Christian isn't always popular, but thats ok. Try this pray and ask the Holy Spirit to send just one person to you on a daily basis. And if he does promise him that you will speak about Jesus Christ and brother they will come in flocks. Because God is no respecter of person's.
God looks upon the heart, and brother he is seeing yours right now and it's a big one.

God Bless you enjoyed your posts. Keep writing and let me know what happens after you have prayed. :)
Brad
Also adding you to my blog